Tuesday 30 August 2011

When you and I were young, Maggie!

Dear friends,
I'd like to carry on the "country" music theme so you can listen to another popular song. Its name is When you and I were young, Maggie! George W. Johnson, a school teacher, wrote the lyrics to this song in 1864 as a poem for Maggie Clark, his young wife of 23 who was dying of Tuberculosis. She died in 1865 before she could hear the words put to music by J.A.Butterfield in 1866. This was an extremely popular song up through the 1920's.
The song is easy and I hope that you will like it!
Many hugs and kisses, Reny


I wandered today to the hill, Maggie,
To watch the scene below -
The creek and the creaking old mill, Maggie,
As we used to, long ago.
The green grove is gone from the hill, Maggie,
Where first the daisies sprung;
The creaking old mill is still, Maggie,
Since you and I were young.

Chorus
And now we are aged and grey, Maggie,
And the trials of life nearly done,
Let us sing of the days that are gone, Maggie,
When you and I were young...

2 comments:

Betina Astride said...

Interesting! Thanks :)

billabung said...

Thank you, Betty!
Kind regards, Bulgarian Team